Rybka in 2018
With Rybka about to enter into its 30th year operating in Scotland, we are delighted to be maintaining a positive story. We are retaining our position as one of Scotland’s leading consulting engineering firms and continue to be proud of our staff in both delivering successful projects and for their personal development achievements.
- We’re continuing to deliver the expansion of Edinburgh Airport including the new International Arrivals and extended terminal facilities.
- The rollout of Village Hotels across the UK has seen the recent opening of the Bristol hotel, with future hotels currently in progress including Basingstoke and Eastleigh.
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s culturally significant Willow Tea Rooms in Glasgow reopened its doors following a major refurbishment.
- Virgin Hotel’s first European hotel is to be brought to Edinburgh’s India Buildings.
- The prestigious Capital Square office development in Edinburgh is well underway in its construction.
- New rural community hospitals are being delivered to the Isle of Skye and Aviemore
- 2 Semple Street, which was Edinburgh’s only Category A office to be completed in 2018, was successfully handed over in August.
- The West Dunbartonshire Council’s headquarters, which was recently nominated for the Architects Journal award for Workplace of the Year (<20,000sqm), was handed over in April.
- The Royal College of Surgeons hotel extension in Edinburgh opened its doors to its first guests during the Edinburgh Festival in August.
- The Waid Academy in Anstruther, Fife picked up the ‘Project of the Year’ at Education Buildings Scotland award ceremony in November.
- Two new distilleries – Rosebank Distillery in Falkirk and Edinburgh Gin in Edinburgh – have both been submitted for planning consent.
- The Edinburgh Grand, which features luxury serviced apartments, the renowned Hawksmoor restaurant and Register Club, was handed over during the summer.
- This year saw the retirement of Colin Hodge, who has been a Director with Rybka for the last 22 years. We wish him all the very best for a long and happy retirement, which we have been assured will be spent equally with his grandchildren and on the golf course.
- Amit Sharma (Associate) reached a career milestone in achieving his Chartered Engineer status, for which we offer our congratulations.
- We offer congratulations to Martin Veale (Edinburgh), both on his recent promotion to Senior Engineer, and on his marriage to wife, Ciara.
- David Coulter (Mechanical Engineer, Glasgow), has completed his Master’s degree in Building Services Engineering at Glasgow Caledonian University – well done, David! This year, David has also welcomed a son Leo with wife, Deborah.
- We have welcomed three new staff members to our Edinburgh office – Steven Griffin and Ian Fraser join our Electrical Engineering team, and Andrew Elsdon has joined our BIM team.
- Laura Bullock, who is Rybka’s Health and Wellbeing ambassador, has recently completed university courses in Nutrition & Wellbeing and Social Wellbeing, and will be completing her Mental Health First Aid Course in the new year.
- Looking ahead to 2019, the Rybka Glasgow team will be welcoming two new babies in 2019 – Amit Sharma (Associate) will be welcoming his second child with wife, Nidhi. Julie Murphy (Mechanical Engineer) and husband Stephen are expecting their third child.